Tuesday 13 September 2011

Trial 01 - verdicts

So, here we go with the first Verdicts!

The Subways: Young For Eternity
Opinion: I honestly didn't know The Subways had this album. I thought their second album, All Or Nothing, was their first album! So when I found out that they had another album, I was really looking forward to giving it a go. It was decent enough, but a bit of a disappointment - I much prefer their second album. I think if I had heard this first, I may not have liked them as much as I like them now!
Verdict: Promote to main playlists on iPod, "on probation".

Hard-Fi: Killer Sounds
Opinion: Love it. Hard-Fi never fail to disappoint. A done deal really - simple verdict.
Verdict: Promote to main playlists on iPod.

The Cat Empire: The Cat Empire
Opinion: Not for me. There were a few glimmers of genius in the first few songs, but by the end of each song I wanted to skip to the next one. In fact, by the middle of the album I wanted to just skip through the whole thing! But somehow got through it. At times they reminded me of a fun, non-sweary Eminem. I don't even know if that is even possible. Probably would be a laugh to see them in a festival line-up for a VERY short period of time but that's as much as I could cope with!
Verdict: Relegate to computer.

The Glitterati: Are You One Of Us?
Opinion: This band is certainly worth a go - I would say they are the star find in this trial. Good rock, cool songs.
Verdict: Promote to main playlists on iPod.

Friendly Fires: Pala
Opinion: I'm in two minds about Friendly Fires. I've never heard their music before so I was trying to keep an open mind, but I got bored by the end of the album. At the same time, I did like some of their songs and I guess if I heard the odd song on Shuffle I wouldn't complain. Gonna give this another try.
Verdict: Promote to main playlists on iPod, "on probation".

Bombay Bicycle Club: A Different Kind Of Fix
Opinion: I hadn't really heard much of Bombay Bicycle Club before trying this album out. Again as with Friendly Fires, I got bored. But I'm willing to promote this to my main playlist and see if I get into them a bit more.
Verdict: Promote to main playlists on iPod, "on probation".

Heaven's Basement: Unbreakable
Opinion: I think I have seen Heaven's Basement as a support act, but I can't remember where or when. I recognised one of their main songs, Paranoia, which I quite like. The album as a whole wasn't as good in comparison with fellow newbies The Glitterati - but I would keep Heaven's Basement on my iPod for sure. Worth a punt if you're happy to risk being disappointed!
Verdict: Promote to main playlists on iPod.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: I'm With You
Opinion: Perhaps I am being too harsh - but I was disappointed after the first listen of RHCP's latest album. After looking forward to it for so long, it just didn't pack that punch that I was hoping for. I had read that it was more like the style of By The Way or Californication, but it reminded me far more of Stadium Arcadium. I think I'm With You could be a grower - I'd be willing to listen to the whole album again soon and for now I'll promote it to my main playlists.
Verdict: Promote to main playlists on iPod.

And so that is the verdict for Trial 01! Keep eyes peeled for the preview of the next trial!

MusicJudge

No comments:

Post a Comment